She was born 11 Feb 1799 in Kirkby Gryndlyth, North Yorkshire, and died aged 77 in 1876 in the Driffield registration district of Yorkshire. She was Christened on 17 Feb 1799, Kirkby Gryndlyth, North Yorkshire
She married William Lockwood on 20 May 1820 in Kirkby Gryndlyth, North Yorkshire, the son of Jane Lockwood. He was born 1795 and baptised on 25th Jan 1795 in Crambe, North Yorkshire. He died in 1883.
William Lockwood was born in 1795 in Crambe, one of at least six illegitimate children born to Jane Lockwood in the village. Illegitimacy was quite common in rural areas in those days, although still frowned upon, but the Poor Laws ensured that there was support for the children, but in their own home with their mother; indeed the family's income could end up being more than the wages earned by an agricultural labourer. Pressure would have been put on her to identify the father or fathers and they would have been expected to provide what support they could for the children, but Jane appears to have resisted the pressures to marry.
William worked as an agricultural labourer all of his life.
William and Hannah were married in Kirkby Gridalythe in 1820;
William Lockwood, servant in husbandry of the parish of Wetwang cum Fimber and Hannah Midgley, servant of this parish were married in church by banns this twentieth day of May 1820. William and Hannah both made their mark. The witnesses were her father Richard Midgley, William Goodwill and Mary Ingham, who all signed their own names.
1841 Census Fimber
William is a an agricultural labourer of approximately 45, his wife Hannah is about 40 and they have 8 children at home, the oldest Ruth is 11 and the youngest John is 6 months old
- William Lockwood 45
- Hannah Lockwood 40
- Ruth Lockwood 11
- Tamer Lockwood 10
- Harriot Lockwood 9
- Matilda Lockwood 8
- William Lockwood 6
- Sophia Lockwood 4
- James Lockwood 2
- John Lockwood 6 Mo
1851 Census Fimber
William is now an agricultural labourer of 58, born at Crambe. His wife is 53. They have had no more children and 5 of them are still at home, the oldest is Matilda aged 16 and the youngest John aged 11.
- William Lockwood 58 Ag Lab b Crambe
- Hannah Lockwood 53 b Kirby Grindalythe
- Matilda Lockwood 16 b Fimber
- Sophia Lockwood 12 Scholar b Fimber
- Sarah Lockwood 8 Scholar b Fimber
- James Lockwood 12 Scholar b Fimber
- John Lockwood 11 Scholar b Fimber
1861 Census Fimber
Tamar has obviously guessed her parent ages - they must have been looking old!
- William Lockwood 77 Head Agricultural Labourer b Crambe
- Hannah Lockwood 73 b Kirkby Gryndalythe
- Tamar Lockwood 29 unmarried daughter Maid of All Work b Fimber
- Tom Lockwood 5 grandson Scholar b Fimber
1871 Census Fimber
William is aged 76, born in Crambe and described as a labourer upon the highways. Hannah his wife is 72. His son James is 30 and described as an agricultural labourer unmarried but out of employment. Times must have been hard - there were other older men employed on the roads and the listing for the village ends with the entry; One Male person lodged in a stable at Fimber.
- William Lockwood 76 Labourer on the Highways
- Hannah Lockwood 72
- James Lockwood 30 Ag Lab out of Employment
1881 Census Fimber
William is still the Head of the household but his age is now given as 85 and shown as born in Crambe. Despite his age he is still described as being an Agricultural Labourer. Living with him is his son James Lockwood who remains unmarried at 41 and who was born in Fimber. He too is an Agricultural Labourer and William's grandson, Tom Lockwood who is 26, born in Fimber and an Agricultural Labourer too.
- William Lockwood 85 head widower Ag Lab b Crambe
- James Lockwood 41 unmarried son Ag Lab b Fimber
- Tom Lockwood 26 unmarried grandson Ag Lab b Fimber
His death at the age of 88 is recorded for the March Quarter in 1883
Fimber is part of the Ancient Parish of Wetwang
"WETWANG, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, & liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles W. of Driffield. Exclusive of the parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, of which the Rev. Rowland Croxton is the vicar, and the Prebendary of Wetwang the patron; there is a chapel for the Methodists. This village, in which Thomas Wilberfoss, Esq. resides, is principally occupied by farmers and their labourers. Population, 422."
"FIMBER, in the parish of Wetwang, wapentake of Buckrose, and liberty of St. Peter's; 9 miles WNW. of Driffield. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the rector of Wetwang is incumbent curate. Pop. 104."
[Description(s) edited from Langdale's Yorkshire Dictionary (1822) and Baine's Directory of the County of York (1823)]
FIMBER is a chapelry and township in this parish, belonging principally to Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., who is also lord of the manor. The total area is 1,92 acres, the rateable value £1,681, and the population 158. Fimber is included in the petty sessional division of Buckrose, and in the division of Sledmere for the election of a county councillor. The manor was granted at an early period to St. Mary's Abbey, York; after the dissolution of religious houses it came into the Yorke family, owners of Sledmere, and it has since then followed the descents and changes of ownership of that lordship.
The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence, nine miles west-by-north from Driffield, two-and-a-half miles north-west of Wetwang, and near Fimber station, on the Malton and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern railway. There are two large ponds or meres, the prescence of which gave a name to the place, Fimmer or Fimmere, corrupted into Fimber in later times. The chapel-of-ease (St. Mary) was rebuilt on the site of an ancient one in 1871, at a cost of nearly £7,000, defrayed by Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart. It is a dressed stone edifice in the Norman style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch, and western tower containing three bells. All the windows are filled with stained glass. The chancel arch is lofty and elegant, and rests on circular piers. Separating this part of the church from the nave is a handsome screen of brass, fitted with gates of the same metal, and let into a carved stone base. Under the east window is a very beautiful reredos of marble and alabaster, and in the south wall is a triple sedilia. Oak has been used for the roofs of both chancel and nave; the former is carved exhibiting stars, the latter is painted, and the seats are also of oak, constructed after a modern type. The pulpit is of Caen stone finely carved, and the lectern is a superbly finished piece of brass-work.
There are chapels in the village belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, both of which were rebuilt in 1863, the former at a cost of £200, and the latter £180. There is a good National School, built in 1865, for the accornmodation of 100 children.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
The station opened as Fimber and was renamed Sledmere in March 1858 and then Sledmere & Fimber in May 1859. The station served the Sykes estate in Sledmere and Sir Tatton Sykes at Sledmere House once had a private waiting room but he gave up exclusive use of the room in 1860 on the condition that it was refurbished and furnished to 'first class' standard. This later became the 'ladies waiting room' when the station was improved in the 1890s with a timber 'general waiting room' being provided to the east of the main station building. At the same time the platform was raised and lengthened leaving a small section of the original low platform in front of the main station building.
The station was used by Queen Victoria in the 1880s and on 6th July 1948 King George VI and Queen Elizabeth traveled by train to the station when they stayed at Sledmere House, the line was closed to all other traffic for the day. When the Royal passengers left the train for their overnight stay the royal train was shunted into a siding and a rail removed to stop other trains accidentally crashing into it.
This was the heyday of the Sledmere estate. The Sykes family made its fortune in business in Leeds and the Baltic trade. Acquiring the Sledmere estate through marriage, the family became country gentlemen and by the 1780's, with a baronetcy, a coat of arms and a solid Georgian manor house, were well on their way to owning the largest and best-run landed estate in the old East Riding. The great Sir Christopher Sykes (1749-1801) 2nd baronet, was a formidable agricultural improver who turned his huge open sheep-walks on the Yorkshire Wolds into prime farming land by ploughing and enclosing, planting trees as windbreaks, building farmhouses and making new roads. He married a rich Tatton heiress from Cheshire, and she brought the name Tatton into the family and money to improve the estate.
The first Sir Tatton Sykes (1772-1863), fourth baronet, was a formidable figure and archetypal Yorkshire squire.
Rising at 5.30 every morning and shaving in cold water, he would walk up and down the library until he had covered between three and four miles, and then sit down to a breakfast of apple or gooseberry tart with lumps of mutton fat, washed down with a bowl of milk. A man of iron constitution, who lived to be ninety, `Old' Sir Tatton was said to be one of the three Yorkshire sights most worth seeing, along with York Minster and Fountains Abbey.
Devoted to horses, hunting and racing, he disdained the newfangled railways, and even stage coaches, and rode everywhere. Going to London took him seven days and he was famous for riding astonishing distances in his old-fashioned long coat, mahogany-topped boots and tall hat. He was altogether a tough nut. A formidable boxer, who quelled dissent and impertinence with his fists, he kept 300 horses at stud and attended the St Leger meeting in Doncaster no fewer than seventy-four times. He treated everyone exactly the same, regardless of class or occupation, spoke broad Yorkshire and liked to drive his own sheep and give a hand with road-mending or turnip-hoeing. An engraving of him hung in a place of honour in every farmhouse in the Wolds.
Reluctantly marrying at the age of fifty to continue the Sykes line, he quickly sired eight children, but he was a domestic tyrant, ever ready with the whip, which he once took to his two sons on finding wimpish toothbrushes in their luggage when they came home from Harrow. For his sons he had nothing but contempt, and they feared and hated him in return. On the other hand, Sir Tatton intelligently pioneered the use of crushed animal bones as fertiliser, employed an architect to build and restore churches on the estate and erected the elegant rotunda in memory of his father on the road through the village.
A 100 foot tall monument was erected in his memory in 1865 by subscriptions from 600 of his friends and neighbours. Daisy Midgley could still remember her dad, (Ruth’s son George Midgley), telling tales about 'Old Sir Tatton'.
The children of Hannah Midgley and William Lockwood were:
- i. Jane Lockwood, born 1821 in Scagglethorpe. Christening: 19 Aug, Kirkby Gryndlyth. She married Nicholas Graham 29 May 1845 in Wharram Percy; born 1806 in Thixendale.
- ii. Hannah Lockwood, born Jun 1823 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire.
- iii. Aaron Lockwood, born 08 Jul 1825 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire; died 16 Feb 1895 in Spring Arbour, Michigan, America. He married (1) Elizabeth Stephenson 1850. He married (2) Selina Vanwormer 12 Jun 1863 in Jackson County, Michigan, America; born 1814 in New York; died 08 Feb 1895 in Spring Arbour, Michigan, America.
- iv. Joseph Lockwood, born 30 Apr 1827 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire. He married Mary Pailee. Hee too went to America and is mentioned in Aarons letter of @ 1863 from Michigan America when he was trying to avoid the draft for the American Civil War (spellings corrected) 'Joseph goes round telling how old he is and I am the next older than him. They have acted like a fool about it.' He is also mentioned in Selinas letter of 1863 'William and Josephs family are all well. They were all here a few days ago.'
- v. Ruth Lockwood, born 01 Aug 1829 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire; died 15 May 1907 in Birks Farm, Buttercrambe. She married James Midgley 27 Nov 1848 in Westow, North Yorkshire; born 1825 in Appleton, Yorkshire; died 16 Mar 1902 in Birks Farm, Buttercrambe.
- vi. Tamar Lockwood, born 19 Apr 1831 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire. She married William Maddison; born 1842 in Market Deighton.
- vii. Harriet Lockwood, born 21 Nov 1832 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire.
- viii. Matilda Lockwood, born 1833 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire. She married Thomas Miller 1857.
- ix. William Lockwood, born Jun 1835 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire. He too went to Michigan, America with his brother Aaron, but returned to England.
- x. Sophia Lockwood, born Jul 1837 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire. She married Charles Dawson 30 Jan 1859 in Wetwang; born 1837 in Huggate.
- xi. James Lockwood, born Jun 1839 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire. In 1881 James is 41 and at home with his father in Fimber, in 1891 he is living on the farm of his niece Sophia Woodliffe at Primrose Hill Farm, Buttercrambe and in 1901 he is living with his sister Jane Midgley and her family at the neighbouring Birks far, Buttercrambe.
- xii. John Lockwood, born Nov 1840 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire.
- xiii. Sarah Lockwood, born Jan 1843 in Wetwang With Fimber, Yorkshire; died 1929. She married Gideon Johnson1 25 Nov 1867; born 1838; died 1927.