He was born 1811 in Middleton On The Wolds. He married Margaret. She was born 1812 in Nunburnholme.
At the time of his birth his father is described as a labourer. He was registered as ‘Mark, son of Richard Midgley, labourer by his wife Jane’.
1841 Census Pocklington, Chapmangate
Mark Midgley 25 TailorMargaret Midgley 25 John Midgley 7 William Midgley 4 Mark Midgley 2 Richard Midgley 2 Mo
1851 Census Pocklington, Great George Street
Mark Midgley 38 tailor b middletonMargret Midgley 37 b NunburnholmeWilliam Midgley 14 b PocklingtonRichard Midgley 10 b PocklingtonJames Midgley 7 b PocklingtonMark Midgley 5 b PocklingtonThomas Midgley 3 b PocklingtonCharles Midgley 1 b Pocklington
1861 Census Pocklington
Mark Midgley 50 Tailor "Master" b MiddletonMargaret Midgley 49 James Midgley 17 Sadlers ApprenticeMark Midgley 15 CarterCharles Midgley 11 ScholarMary J Midgley 8 ScholarElizabeth Midgley 5 Scholar
1871 Census Pocklington, Great George Street
Mark Midgley 60 TailorMargaret Midgley 59 Richard Midgley 30 BrewerCharles Midgley 21 Stonemason (apprentice)Elizabeth Midgley 15 Servant (out of employment)Lydia Anderson 34 Lodger, Charwoman b Burton Agnes
1881 Census Pocklington, No 30 Great George Street
Mark Midgley 69 TailorMargaret Midgley 68 Richard Midgley 40 BrewerThomas Midgley 33 Horse BreakerCharles Midgley 30 Stone Mason
1891 Census Pocklington, George Street
Marck Midgley 79 widower Horse CarterCharles Midgley 41 Stone Mason
The children of Mark Midgley and Margaret were:
- i. John Midgley, born 1834 in Pocklington.
- ii. William Midgley, born 1837 in Pocklington.
- iii. Mark Midgley, born 1839 in Pocklington.
- iv. Richard Midgley, born 1841 in Pocklington
- v. James Midgley, born 1844 in Pocklington.
- vi. Mark Midgley, born 1846 in Pocklington, Humberside. He married Elizabeth Raine; born 1846 in York, North Yorkshire. Mark was a photographer. His photograph studio was at 51 Fossgate, York. His relatives lived in York. Some of them Midgley's were related to the Burkes, Builders - biggest folks in York. One was an attendant at asylum. Lizzie was Marks wife. Lilly & Sally are daughters. At the 1881 Census he was aged 35, living at his Father in Law, Thomas Raine's house in York St Leonards with his wife
- Yard Regent St (23), York St Lawrence
- Thomas RAINE, W, 59, M, York, York, England, Rel:, Head, Occ:, Tailor
- Mark MIDGLEY, M, 35, M, Pocklington, York, England, Rel:, Son In Law, Occ:, Photographer
- Elizabeth MIDGLEY, M, 35, F, York, York, England, Rel:, Daur, ,
- Frances M. MIDGLEY, , 6, F, York, York, England, Rel:, Grand Daughter, Occ:, Scholar
- vii. Thomas Midgley, born 1848 in Pocklington.
- viii. Charles Midgley, born 1850 in Pocklington.
- ix. Mary J Midgley, born 1853 in Pocklington.
- x. Elizabeth Midgley, born 1856 in Pocklington.